Intermediate Application Developer
Who we are:
The Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) is a leading organization at the heart of Canada's Internet. We shape our country's Internet infrastructure, employ cutting edge technologies, and push the bounds of possibility. CIRA manages Canada's .CA domain name registry, develops and implements policies that support Canada's Internet community and is a prominent voice on issues of national and international importance relating to Internet governance.
CIRA employees enjoy a fast but tempered pace of work, cutting-edge projects, training and career development opportunities, and a stable, secure work environment. Our seasoned team of professionals come to work each day with drive, focus, and a sense of humour.
What you’ll do:
You will be tasked with being a key resource in the development of all new features as required by various users of CIRA's .CA Registry management service solution.
You will be responsible for identifying areas for improvement and will be expected to possess the ability to assess and recommend new technologies as they pertain to the existing architecture. You will guide other developers with code review and mentorship and have strong interpersonal skills as well as a demonstrated aptitude for fostering collaboration and communication.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in major application development initiatives from inception through to deployment.
- Co-ordinate application testing and deployment with the testing and operations groups.
- Experience with the administration of Weblogic in a clustered development environment.
- Provide supplemental database design and development activities.
- Confer with clients and users to gather requirements and determine operational requirements.
- Coordinate with consultants as required.
- Work with the Technical Writer to help guide the preparation and deliver application documentation.
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to more junior staff.
What you bring:
- Degree in a Computer Science related discipline or equivalent, with a minimum of 4-7 years of experience with strong web application design and development in a Unix environment.
- Strong understanding of object-oriented development in Java/J2EE.
- Experience with UNIX based development is essential with knowledge of Linux.
- Experience with WebLogic or JBoss.
- Experience developing applications for a highly available, clustered J2EE architecture an asset.
- Strong understanding of web application development, including: security, application design, session management, performance, multi-language support, and internationalization.
- Strong understanding of the J2EE technology stack including: EJB (Session, MDB), JPA, JMS, JAAS.
- Experience developing applications consuming / producing XML.
- Strong knowledge of relational database design and SQL. Experience with Oracle desired.
- Experience with Subversion or other version control software.
- Ability to work with a team of diverse technical individuals.
- Ability to communicate and coordinate with other departments and stakeholders.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Experience using an Agile development process.
- Understanding of or exposure to critical registry related technologies, such as DNS and WHOIS.
- Shell scripting, batching and automation work of software build and deployment.
- Knowledge of C, C# and other programming languages.
- Experience with .NET / SharePoint.
- Experience or knowledge of EPP, DNSSEC.
- Proficiency in English is essential; French language skills will be considered an asset.
CIRA offers a fast-paced, challenging work environment in a dynamic, growing organization full of talented team players. CIRA provides competitive salary, generous benefits, and a location in the heart of downtown Ottawa.
To apply for this role, please submit your resume in confidence to email@example.com.