2013 Canadian Internet Forum
The Canadian Internet Forum (CIF) is the place for Canadians to share their thoughts on the development, deployment and governance of the Internet in Canada.
Consisting of an annual event and an online discussion forum, the CIF brings together leading thinkers and experts to discuss a variety of Internet-related topics. This year the CIF national event will be kicking off the online discussion forum on
February 28, 2013 in Ottawa, so that Canadians can further explore the topics discussed during the national event online.
This year Digital Literacy, Cyber-security, and Internet governance will be explored:
- Policy and Governance: including topics such as broadband speed access, who runs the Internet.
- Digital literacy: including topics such as privacy, parental controls, educating people on how to use the Internet, lack of digital literacy, and language barriers.
- Cyber-security: including topics such as regulating content, governance of the Internet and net neutrality.
The event will also feature a keynote from Privacy Commissioner Jennifer Stoddart about privacy on the Internet landscape in Canada. As well, the event will also feature panel sessions on digital literacy, cyber security and policy and governance featuring:
- Tim Denton, CRTC
- Steve Anderson, Openmedia.ca
- Karen Mulberry, Internet society
- Matthew Johnson, MediaSmarts
- Shane Schick, Journalist
- Kerry Augustine, Canadian Cyber Defense Challenge
- Bill Woodcock, Packet Clearing House
- Byron Holland, Canadian Internet Registration Authority
Participants who are unable to attend in-person will be able to join the event by webcast. Details are available below.
There will also be an interactive session, where you will be able share your views and contribute to a discussion on cyber-security!
Event: 2013 CIF National Event
Time and date: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (ET), February 28, 2013
Location: Ottawa Convention Centre, Canada Hall 3, 55 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa
Webcast: Join the webcast beginning at 9 a.m. ET.
Don’t forget! Test your system before joining the webcast.
Join the online forum to discuss, debate and participate during the event.
Registration for the 2013 CIF event is closed. Onsite registration will be available the day of the event.
There is no cost for participation and lunch will be served.
This is the third year CIRA has hosted the CIF. In previous years, the discussions at the event and the online forum were used to develop a white paper for presentation to the United Nations co-ordinated Internet Governance Forum (IGF). The white paper from the 2013 CIF will also be presented to the IGF.
Read past CIF white papers.
For more information, please contact email@example.com.