The Canadian Internet Registration Authority is the not-for-profit Canadian corporation responsible for operating Canada’s .CA Internet country code Top Level Domain (ccTLD).
“WHOIS” is a generic term used to describe an online directory service that allows people to look up information about Internet domain names. CIRA maintains a WHOIS look-up directory which permits queries to the .CA Registry database to determine the availability of .CA domain names or to view the administrative contact and technical information provided by Registrants who have registered a .CA domain name.
CIRA collects this information to manage and administer the Registry and implement, execute and enforce the applicable Registry policies, rules and procedures.
CIRA may use the registration information to contact Registrants about Domain Name registration issues, to facilitate the resolution of disputes, or other issues related to registering a Domain Name or the operation of the Registry. CIRA will also use Registration information for mandatory communications from CIRA and to forward correspondence sent to Registrants via CIRA from any third party.
By default, the following information about individual Registrants is not displayed in the CIRA WHOIS:
- The name, address, phone number, email, and fax number (if provided) of the Administrative Contact and Technical Contact;
- The Registrant’s CIRA assigned Registrant number;
- The name of the Registrant;
- The CIRA assigned domain number for each domain name registration held by the Registrant;
- The description field which the Registrant or the Registrant’s Registrar filled out during the registration process describing the Registrant or the Registrant’s business.
The information of non-individual Registrants is displayed by default, although it may be protected in special circumstances.