- Your role as a Board member
- Desired skills and experience
- How to join the Board through the Member slate
- Your contribution to Canada’s internet
- Important dates and deadlines
Your role as a board member
The role of CIRA Board Directors is to help foster the development of CIRA. They provide strategic direction and oversight for the .CA domain name registry to help guide CIRA as it fulfills its mandate to manage the .CA domain as a key public resource for the benefit of all Canadians. As well, the Board plays a key role in enabling a trusted internet for Canadians through CIRA's programs, products and services that leverage all the internet has to offer.
As a member of the CIRA’s Board of Directors, it is your responsibility to:
- Provide strategic direction and oversight for the .CA registry.
- Help develop and implement policies that support Canada's internet community and represent the .CA registry internationally.
- Attend approximately five weekday meetings and the Annual General Meeting.
- Participate in committee work and associated conference calls.
- Approve CIRA’s corporate plan and annual budget.
Board members are expected to serve on committees and attend board meetings regularly. Directors are remunerated for their time and reimbursed for expenses. For details please review the Board Compensation.
If elected to the Board, successful candidates must be available for two days of board meetings in early November.
Desired skills and experience
Each year the CIRA Board of Directors submits a Board Competencies and Diversity Report that outlines the skills and experience the nomination committee should be looking for when reviewing applications.
To be eligible to become a Director, an individual must:
- Consent to be a nominee, a candidate, and, if elected, a Director.
- On the day election period begins (September 23, 2021), meet the “qualification” requirements defined in subsection 3.03 of CIRA’s By-law No. 1.
CIRA Directors are not required to be members.
How to join the Board through the Member slate
Joining the Board of Directors through the Member slate can be achieved by following these steps:
- Verify that you are qualified: we are looking for individuals with specific skills and experience. Make sure you qualify before submitting your application.
- Complete the online application: applications and resumes will be accepted through our online application system from July 29 to August 12, 2021 at 2 p.m. ET. Only Members can apply in this stage. Late applications will not be accepted.
- Complete your declaration form: Once all nominees have submitted their applications, they will be asked to complete a declaration form that states any conflicts they may have with current board members or other candidates.
- Receive member support: To appear on the final Members' slate a Member nominee must receive at least 20 shows of support from members. Show of support is open from August 26 to September 9, 2021 at 2 p.m. ET.
- Campaign: Once candidates received their shows of support, they can begin their campaign. A toolkit, with ideas on how to promote your platform, will be provided to candidates. This includes participation in the campaign forum from September 16 to September 30, 2021.
- Vote: Members can vote for their preferred candidates from September 23 to September 30, 2021 at 12:30 p.m. ET.
Your contribution to Canada’s internet
CIRA Board Directors have the opportunity to:
- Serve a three-year term with the objective of helping CIRA in its mandate to foster the development of .CA as a key public resource for all Canadians.
- Apply your skills and expertise to help develop the strategic direction of .CA.
- Gain valuable insight and experience developing and implementing policies that support Canada’s internet community and the .CA Registry internationally.
- Help enable a trusted internet for all Canadians by supporting the ongoing development of the internet.
- Have an impact on the day-to-day lives of Canadians by enhancing the quality of their experiences online.
Important dates and deadlines
Application period begins: July 29, 2021
Application deadline: August 12, 2021 at 2 p.m. ET
Show of support: August 26 to September 9, 2021 at 2 p.m. ET
Member candidates announced: September 16, 2021
Campaign forum: September 16 to September 30, 2021
Vote: September 23 - September 30, 2021 at 12:30 p.m. ET