Preparing your submission
Review these guidelines before completing the online application form:
Materials to gather before you apply:
As part of the application process, you must provide the following materials through our online application system. Please read through this list to ensure you have time to prepare everything before the submission deadline.
All of these documents must be completed and submitted with your application form by April 12, 2023 at 2PM ET.
Proof of eligibility. Examples of proof can include:
- Documentation confirming your community or not-for-profit incorporation (e.g., articles of incorporation) and your charitable status, if applicable. Please note that tax forms are not valid. For academic researchers: a letter confirming you are employed by the academic institution.
Non-profit organizations, charities and Indigenous communities must provide:
- a Board of Directors/Band Council list with contact information, including organizational affiliation and title, email address and phone number;
- letter(s) of support from community partners and/or community participants you expect to benefit from your project.
- a copy of the most recent audited financial statements; and
- a current year 12-month operating budget (i.e., a budget that covers the current grant calendar year till at least December 2023).
If your organization does not have audited financial statements, you can submit your most recent financial statements if they are prepared or reviewed by an accountant and signed by two members of your board of directors.
An operating budget shows forecasted revenues against organizational expenses over the course of a year. The operating budget you submit should cover the next 12 months.
Universities and colleges must provide:
Universities and colleges are not required to provide their organizational budgets, but they must provide a CV for the lead researcher, as well as letter(s) of support from community partners and/or community participants expected to benefit from your project.
The Community Investment Evaluation Panel will receive and review only the application form and attachments we have requested.
Application form questions
All questions are available for reference in the sample application form, which includes project budget sheet details.
Tips for completing your online application
Before you begin:
- We recommend using the most up to date version of your browser. Previous versions may result in errors or compatibility issues.
- Ensure the internet "cookies" are enabled on your browser.
Important: system emails
Emails will be automatically generated as part of the application process from email@example.com. Please do the following to make sure you receive all of these important emails:
- Review your junk mail or spam to check for emails from the application system that may have been caught.
- If you have a system administrator, ask them to add the IP address to your anti-spam software (188.8.131.52).
Data entry tips:
Save as you go!
There is no time limit when entering data in the online application. You may lose your information, however, if you use the browser navigation buttons or close your browser window without using the “Save” function.
The “Save” option is provided so you can save your information as you complete the form or if you do not wish to complete the entire application in one sitting. If you click “save & continue editing” it will stay on the same page. Choosing “next” will also save the information and move you to the next page. If you decide to close your browser after saving, you will be able to return to your application tasks and continue editing.
IMPORTANT: When the application is complete, including all the relevant documentation, you must click the Submit button to ensure your application reaches us. A confirmation email will be sent to the email address listed for the contact person in the application. Make sure to check your junk email folder or spam filter if the confirmation email is not received within a few minutes of submitting your application.
Contact us with your questions
These Application Guidelines should answer most of your questions. Please read them carefully. If you have any other questions about the process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-877-860-1411 between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. ET Monday to Friday.
If you have additional technical questions, issues with uploading, or experience difficulty in submitting your online application, please contact https://cipapplication.cira.ca/helpdesk/contact/. You will usually receive a response within 24 hours.