How do I run a health check?
Run a health check to confirm that the Zone is being transferred, that there are no network interruptions (ex. firewalls blocking traffic) and the serial number is greater on the primary (your zone), then the secondary (backup).
- Login to D-Zone Portal - https://portal.d-zone.ca
- Find the Zone you are having a problem with, or select all Zones in a problem state.
- Use the stethoscope icon under Zone Status, next to the colored icon, to run the health check.
- Select “Run All” in the troubleshooting panel.
- Results will appear in the “Test Report” section.
- If all activity is Green, congratulations, all is well!
- If any activity is Red, please proceed to the How do I check serial numbers, and what are the IP’s to configure alerts and the monitoring server?
How do I check serial numbers?
Serial numbers determine whether or not a Zone is updated. For a Zone to transfer, the serial number on the originating side needs to be incremented higher than what the Zone already has. (Ex. 1: Originating Zone Serial Number: 72; D-Zone Serial Number: 72. No transfer will occur. Originating Zone Serial Number: 85; D-Zone Serial Number: 72. A transfer will occur.) The transfer will update the D-Zone Serial number to the originating one.
- Select the view button in the details column.
- Select the Retrieve button next to Transfer History button.
- Any easy way to check if any Serial Numbers have been updated is to put “transferred serial” in the Text: box.
How do I configure to send notifies and allow zone transfers?
D-Zone has four hidden masters that customers need to configure to send notifies and allow zone transfers. Please ensure your DNS settings are updated to use all four hidden masters.
|Hidden master number
|D-Zone Hidden Master 1
|D-Zone Hidden Master 2
|D-Zone Hidden Master 3
|D-Zone Hidden Master 4
The Monitoring Server needs to be set to “Allow query” so D-Zone can properly report the Zone Status.
D-Zone Monitoring Server:
When testing D-Zone the first check is to click the “Health Check” stethoscope.
SOA test failure: Ensure allow query is set for the monitoring server.
Connectivity test failure: Ensure firewall access has been granted for the listed hidden masters.
Zone transfer failure: Please confirm the serial number is higher than the current one in D-Zone.
How do I modify alert and notification settings in the D-Zone portal?
In order to maintain your Zone Transfers, and to be alerted if there are problems, D-Zone Support recommends turning on the Alert setting in your D-Zone Profile.
- Log into the D-Zone Portal.
- Select the Profile Tab (Please contact Support if you don’t see the Profile Tab)
- Select the Alert Settings Tab.
- Set the “Email for Zone Expire” to the email you’d like to receive the alerts at.
- Set the Alert Interval for how frequently you’d like to be notified if there is a problem.
- Set the Alert Users to determine list of users that will receive alerts when new zone traffic events occur.
This will help in being able to self-manage your Zone Transfers and ensure they are available.