The CIRA Internet Performance Test (IPT) is a quick and easy test of your Internet connection.
How the Internet Performance Test Works
Canadian communities can measure their success with a custom testing portal using maps and branding for their region.
CIRA’s Internet Performance Test is one of the most advanced tests of internet speed and quality available. It is also has the public interest at its core. The test nodes are located in internet exchange points, rather than within an ISP’s architecture. This allows CIRA to measure the actual performance of an internet connection in real network conditions, closely representing the Internet experience of Canadian users. To assess your internet performance we are using a test called the Network Diagnostic Test (NDT) provided by M-Lab.
What we want to see is a better online Canada. Where Canada not only competes with, but tops the global leaders in access speed, quality, and data sovereignty.
With one click you will be able to determine:
- Download Speed (how fast you can transfer data FROM the Internet)
- Upload Speed (how fast you can transfer data TO the Internet)
- Ping (how fast your data travels from your computer to the test server)
- DNSSEC Capability (the ability for your computer to use the DNS Security Extensions)
- IPV6 Capability (the ability for your computer to connect with the latest Internet Protocols)
- ...including detailed TCP statistics available in the advanced view.