Ottawa, ON - June 2, 2021 – The Canadian Internet Registration Authority's (CIRA) Nomination Committee is inviting Canadians with an interest in advancing the internet in Canada to join its Board of Directors.
Becoming a CIRA Board Director is a unique opportunity to work with Canada's internet leaders as they develop strategy and policy for .CA and the organization’s efforts to improve Canada’s internet. The skills, experience and expertise board members bring to the table will help guide CIRA as it fulfills its mandate to manage the .CA domain and build a trusted internet for Canadians.
Here are some of the qualities CIRA is seeking in 2021 candidates:
- A passion for Canada's internet.
- Previous board experience with solid understanding of board governance.
- Ability to understand risks, opportunities, and implications both environmental and internal that may impact CIRA.
- Experience in the domain name industry in which CIRA operates, including an understanding of the current and emerging business and industry trends.
- Entrepreneurial experience at the executive level, in starting a technology business or pursuing a “go to market” strategy at the enterprise or line of business level.
- An understanding of the areas of law related to CIRA's business, such as internet, IT and privacy.
- Leadership skills and the ability to listen and be open to others’ perspectives and synthesize and build consensus.
- A human resource management background including a good understanding of the need for and experience in encouraging diversity and inclusiveness in the workforce and methods of managing and retaining top talent.
It is important to note that positions on CIRA’s board are not considered entry-level. It is imperative for the board’s effective functioning that all its members have a good understanding of the duties and responsibilities of directors and board governance in the not-for-profit and/or the for-profit sectors and solid board experience.
Interested individuals can submit their application to the Nomination Committee starting today. The application deadline is June 16, 2021 at 2 p.m. ET.
For more information about being a CIRA board member and the election process, visit cira.ca/election.
The Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) manages the .CA top-level domain on behalf of all Canadians. A member-based organization, CIRA also develops and implements policies that support Canada's internet community, and represents the .CA registry internationally.