1. Expliquez, de votre point de vue, ce que CIRA fait et pourquoi son rôle est important.
The Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) serves a crucial role in managing the .CA domain, symbolizing the digital identity of Canadian entities. Beyond being just the custodian of the .CA domain, CIRA’s work expands into various dimensions, each contributing to a resilient and trusted digital environment for all Canadians.
CIRA ensures that .CA websites are accessible and secure, forming a foundation for Canadian businesses, organizations, and individuals to foster their digital presence. This is of paramount importance as the internet has become deeply intertwined with our everyday lives – from online commerce and remote working to digital learning and entertainment.
Simultaneously, CIRA actively engages in shaping internet policy, ensuring the internet remains open, secure, and accessible for Canadians. This involves advocating for fair internet rules and policies that prioritize user privacy, data protection, and digital inclusivity.
Moreover, CIRA takes the lead in creating innovative programs and services, aimed at enhancing Canada’s internet infrastructure. This includes developing cybersecurity products and services to protect against cyber threats and ensure secure digital transactions.
CIRA’s work also extends into community engagement, providing a platform for Canadian internet users to express their views on how the internet should be governed. The organization’s “Internet Performance Test,” for instance, enables Canadians to gain insight into their internet service quality. Similarly, the “CIRA’s Community Investment Program” funds projects that enhance the internet for the benefit of all Canadians, underscoring its commitment to digital inclusivity and literacy.
In essence, CIRA’s role is significant because it maintains the sovereignty of Canada’s internet space while ensuring its reliability, security, and inclusivity. In an increasingly digitized world, CIRA’s mission resonates even more profoundly. It not only safeguards Canada’s digital identity but also acts as a custodian, innovator, and advocate, shaping a digital future that is secure, inclusive, and responsive to Canadian needs.
In a broader context, CIRA’s work contributes significantly to our economy, culture, and social fabric, setting the stage for the continuous growth of Canada’s digital landscape. Therefore, as a central player in Canada’s internet ecosystem, CIRA’s work is essential for the prosperity and digital resilience of our country, and, by extension, to every Canadian.
2. Pourquoi désirez-vous faire partie du conseil d’administration de CIRA? Dans votre réponse, veuillez préciser les compétences et l’expérience particulières que vous possédez et qui font de vous un candidat compétent.
Joining CIRA’s Board of Directors aligns with my commitment to serve in a role that has a profound impact on the digital future of Canada. As an experienced executive and board member, I want to leverage my expertise in strategic leadership, corporate governance, and financial oversight to contribute to CIRA’s mission.
I am passionate about digital technology and its potential to transform society. I believe that being part of CIRA’s Board presents an opportunity to shape policies and strategies that ensure a safe, secure, and inclusive digital environment for all Canadians.
I would contribute to the Board’s functions with my broad financial acumen, enhanced by my CPA, CMA designation, and MBA. My experience in managing complex organizations’ financial aspects would enable me to provide insightful fiscal oversight, crucial for CIRA’s sustainability.
With my deep understanding of cybersecurity in a business context, I can bring valuable insights to discussions about risk and threat management. In an era where cyber threats are a significant concern, this knowledge would be crucial in protecting CIRA’s integrity and the .CA community at large.
Furthermore, as a seasoned leader, I’ve fostered a culture of collaboration and innovation in past roles. I would employ this experience to contribute to the Board’s consensus-driven approach, and promote creative problem-solving in addressing CIRA’s strategic challenges.
My extensive experience in board governance, coupled with my commitment to ethical standards, also make me a qualified candidate. I’ve served in various capacities on multiple boards, promoting corporate governance practices aligned with strategic goals.
In conclusion, my desire to join CIRA’s Board is fueled by the opportunity to combine my passion for digital technology with my leadership, financial, and cybersecurity expertise to create a better digital future for Canadians.
3. Selon vous, quels sont les trois principaux défis et possibilités qui se présenteront à CIRA au cours des trois à cinq prochaines années? Quelle approche adopteriez-vous pour résoudre ces enjeux?
In my opinion, the top challenges are as follows:
- Cybersecurity Threats: The escalating landscape of cybersecurity threats represents a significant challenge for CIRA. Ensuring the .CA domain and associated services remain secure is critical. My approach would involve pushing for continuous investment in cybersecurity infrastructure, monitoring, and incident response systems. Additionally, I’d advocate for partnerships with government agencies and private cybersecurity firms for knowledge sharing and threat mitigation
- Expanding Digital Inclusion: As more services move online, ensuring that all Canadians have equal access to a reliable and secure internet is paramount. CIRA can take advantage of this opportunity by expanding its initiatives to underserved communities. I would propose focusing on partnerships with government and private entities to increase the reach of the internet infrastructure, as well as investment in digital literacy programs to ensure the effective use of digital resources.
- Maintaining .CA Domain Relevance: With the emergence of new generic top-level domains, maintaining the relevance and attractiveness of the .CA domain can be a challenge. However, this also presents an opportunity to reaffirm the .CA domain as a trusted, reliable, and uniquely Canadian digital identity. To address this, I would promote a marketing strategy that emphasizes the benefits of a .CA domain and targets Canadian businesses, particularly SMEs and start-ups, to adopt it.