|Current stage:||Joining the board through the nomination committee slate|
|Stage open:||May 25-June 8, 2022|
- Your role as a board member
- Desired skills and experience
- How to join the board through the member slate
- Your contribution to Canada’s internet
- Important dates and deadlines
Your role as a board member
The role of CIRA board directors is to advance CIRA’s development. Board directors provide strategic direction and oversight for the .CA domain name registry to help guide CIRA as it fulfills its mandate to manage the .CA domain as a key public resource for the benefit of all Canadians. The board also plays a key role in enabling a trusted internet for Canadians through CIRA's programs, products and services that leverage all the internet has to offer.
As a member of the CIRA’s board of directors, it is your responsibility to:
- Provide strategic direction and oversight for the .CA registry.
- Help develop and implement policies that support Canada's internet community and represent the .CA registry internationally
- Attend at least five meetings and the annual general meeting
- Participate in committee work and associated conference calls
- Approve CIRA’s corporate plan and annual budget
Board members are expected to serve on committees and attend board meetings regularly. Directors are remunerated for their time and reimbursed for expenses. For details, please review the board compensation.
If elected to the board, successful candidates must be available for two days of board meetings in early November.
Desired skills and experience
Each year the CIRA board of directors submits a Board Competencies and Diversity Report that outlines the skills and experience for applicants. This report is usually published in May and a list of desired skills and experience from this report will be posted below at that time.
To be eligible to become a board director, an individual must:
- Consent to be a nominee, a candidate, and, if elected, a board director
- On the day the voting period begins (September 15, 2022), meet the “qualification” requirements defined in subsection 3.03 of CIRA’s By-law No. 1.
It is important to note that positions on CIRA’s board are not considered entry-level. It is imperative for the board’s effective functioning that all its members have a good understanding of the duties and responsibilities of directors and board governance in the not-for-profit and/or the for-profit sectors and solid board experience.
How to join the board through the member slate
Joining the board of directors through the member slate can be achieved by following these steps:
- Verify that you are qualified: we are looking for individuals with specific skills and experience. Make sure you qualify before submitting your application.
- Complete the online application: applications and resumes will be accepted through our online application system from July 21 to August 4, 2022 at 2 p.m. ET. Only CIRA members can apply in this stage. Late applications will not be accepted.
- Complete your declaration form: once all nominees have submitted their applications, they will be asked to complete a declaration form that states any conflicts they may have with current board members or other candidates.
- Receive member support: to appear on the final Member slate a member nominee must receive at least 20 shows of support from CIRA members. The show of support period runs from August 18 to September 1, 2022 at 2 p.m. ET.
- Campaign: once candidates receive their shows of support, they can begin campaigning. A toolkit, with ideas on how to promote your platform, will be provided to candidates. This includes participation in the campaign forum from September 8 to September 22, 2022.
- Vote: members can vote for their preferred candidates from September 15 to September 22, 2022, at 12:30 p.m. ET.
Your contribution to Canada’s internet
CIRA board directors:
- Serve a three-year term with the objective of helping CIRA in its mandate to foster the development of the .CA domain as a key public resource for all Canadians.
- Apply their skills and expertise to help develop the strategic direction of .CA
- Gain valuable insight and experience developing and implementing policies that support Canada’s internet community and the .CA Registry internationally
- Help enable a trusted internet for all Canadians by supporting the ongoing development of the internet
- Have an impact on the day-to-day lives of Canadians by enhancing the quality of their experiences online
Important dates and deadlines for this stage
|July 21, 2022||Application period begins|
|August 4, 2022 at 2 p.m. ET||Application period ends|
|August 18, 2022||Announcement of member nominees|
|August 18-September 1, 2022||Show of support period|
|September 8, 2022||Final list of candidates posted|
|September 8-22, 2022||Campaign forum|
|September 15-22, 2022 at 12:30 p.m.||Vote|
|September 23, 2022||Election results posted|
Learn more about CIRA’s board of directors election.