“Everyone should feel like they can access the internet without fear of threats, scams and attacks. We offer CIRA Canadian Shield service as a free service so that all Canadians can have a safer online experience, and it is a key way we build a trusted Canadian internet through our Community Investment Program,” says Tanya O’Callaghan, CIRA Vice-president, Community investment, policy and advocacy.
- In 2021, recorded phishing blocks quadrupled, between the first and last quarter of the year.
- A total of 13.3 million requests were blocked between October and December 2021, the highest quarterly total in 2021 and a significant increase over the previous quarter.
- Cryptocurrency and online streaming were the top sources of scam sites, accounting for 21.1% of all requests blocked for cryptocurrency sites, and 15.4% for online streaming sites.
- In December 2021, a total of 91,120 blocked requests were associated with exploitation attempts of the Log4j vulnerability.
- The report suggests that cybercriminals adjust their scams to peak online shopping hours, approximately 6 pm to 9 pm ET.
About CIRA Canadian Shield
CIRA Canadian Shield is a free cybersecurity service that improves privacy and blocks botnets, phishing, ransomware, and other malware as one of the many ways we build a trusted Canadian internet through our Community Investment Program. CIRA has partnered with the Canadian Centre for Cyber Security to integrate its Canadian threat feed into Canadian Shield.
CIRA Canadian Shield is built by Canadians, exclusively for Canadians, and was recently named the default DNS over HTTPS resolver for Mozilla Firefox users in Canada. Earlier this month, CIRA announced its partnership with ScamAdviser, a global leader in anti-scam technology, to integrate protection against fraudulent websites into CIRA Canadian Shield. This added layer of protection will safeguard Canadians’ families against online scams and fraudulent websites.
CIRA (The Canadian Internet Registration Authority) manages the .CA top-level domain on behalf of all Canadians. CIRA also develops technologies and services—such as CIRA DNS Firewall and CIRA Canadian Shield—that help support its goal of building a trusted internet for Canadians. The CIRA team operates one of the fastest-growing country code top-level domains (ccTLD), a high-performance global DNS network, and one of the world’s most advanced back-end registry solutions.