Follow our step-by-step guide and learn how to register your .ca domain (or any domain) with Wix.
Editor’s note: As of July 2022, Wix now offers .CA domains! We’ve made some changes to this post to reflect this exciting update!
If you’re using a basic, free Wix account, your default domain appears as: yourcoolwebsite.wixsite.com/siteaddress. But when it’s time to showcase your brilliant website to the masses, make sure your domain properly reflects your brand and target audience.
How do you get a custom domain address with Wix?
Like WordPress, Wix lets you search for and register domains within their own platform. If you want a .CA domain to show your visitors that your website is proudly Canadian, you can search for and purchase a .CA domain directly through Wix.
Connect your .CA domain to Wix
Another option, particularly helpful if you have already have purchased a domain through a different company, is to connect it to your Wix website – it just takes a few extra steps.
Time: 0.5 hours
Cost: As little as $5 USD/month, plus the cost of a domain registration. You’ll have to upgrade to any one of the paid “premium” Wix accounts to gain the ability to change your domain name on Wix to one of your choosing.
The Wix domain registration process – step by step
- First, log in to your Wix account.
- Go to the “domains” page.
- Click “Connect a domain you already own.” Note: If you don’t already have your .CA domain in your Wix account, you’ll have to first click “Add an Existing Domain,” then select “Connect a domain you already own.”
- Type in the name of your domain. On the bottom left of the page, click “DNS” next to where it says “Connection Method” and select “Pointing.”
- Select the site you want to connect your .CA domain to and then click “Next.”
- Now, you’ll have to update your domain’s DNS or name server settings so they connect to your Wix website.
- Log in to your domain registrar account and go to your DNS or name server settings.
- Replace your current name servers with the following:
- Note: If you’re not comfortable with making the DNS changes manually, contact your domain registrar’s support department, tell them you wish to use your domain with a Wix site and request that they point your domain’s name servers to the DNS addresses listed above.
- Once you’ve updated your DNS or name server settings, head back over to your Wix account, go to the “Domains” page and click “Verify Connection.” This step is optional, but it checks that you’ve made the correct updates to your domain’s name servers.
In some cases, it may take up to 48 hours for your domain to appear linked to your Wix website. If all else fails, Wix offers a comprehensive support article on mapping your custom domain.
Always keep in mind that the company you choose as your domain registrar is where you manage your domain (e.g. renewing your domain before it expires, updating your contact information, etc.).