If you have a .CA for your website, you already know there are many benefits. But did you know it also means you’re eligible for CIRA membership? Membership means you are part of a community of .CA holders who have a voice in the development of Canada’s internet. CIRA members are our greatest advocates, and we look to them to help us fulfill our mission of building a trusted internet for Canadians. There are several ways to champion our work; through participating in CIRA’s governance and operations, acting as a stakeholder in our organization, and sharing our mission with others!
Participating in the board of director elections
Actively participating in the election process is one of the ultimate ways to activate your role as a member. Members can:
- Run as a candidate for election
- Endorse for candidates looking to get on the final ballot
- Ask questions to candidates during the campaign forum
- Vote to elect board members
No matter what your level of involvement in the election process is, your actions contribute to CIRA’s strategic direction and the development our programs, products and services that leverage all that the internet has to offer. Learn more about our election process and key dates.
Participating in CIRA’s annual general meeting (AGM)
Members play a critical role in CIRA’s annual meeting. A quorum of members must be present for the AGM to proceed. CIRA’s By-Law No. 1 requires a quorum of at least 100 members. During the AGM, members can:
- Move and second motions
- Ask questions and/or provide comments related to motions
- Vote on motions related to the operation of the organization, such as:
- appointing CIRA’s auditors for the next fiscal year
- confirming approved changes to CIRA’s bylaws when presented
- addressing member proposals when presented
- Ask questions to CIRA’s leadership related to CIRA’s business and operations
Exclusively for members, CIRA’s annual meeting is where you’ll hear about the progress and development of CIRA’s work, its financial state and future direction. This meeting is your opportunity to use your voice and your vote to directly contribute to CIRA’s operations and governance. Learn more about CIRA’s AGM.
Learning, connecting and sharing
Beyond the business aspects of membership, there are other opportunities to deepen your connection with CIRA, activate your membership and make your voice heard. You can make the most of your membership by:
- Learning about CIRA’s history, latest initiatives, board work and industry trends
- Championing CIRA’s work, uniquely Canadian products, brand and membership
- Leveraging business, technical and practical resources available to members
- Connecting with other members and CIRA’s leadership through CIRA events
- Providing feedback through surveys and consultations
- Sharing your knowledge with others
Check out the useful resources below to learn more:
Board and governance information
Historical background information
Policy on Membership
Bylaw No. 1
CIRA’s leadership team
Our commitment to the environment
Net Good by CIRA
About CIRA membership
Membership is free and only open to .CA holders. It remains active so long as your domain(s) remains registered—there’s no additional renewal process beyond renewing your .CA domain name!
If you’re not a member and have a .CA domain name—become one! Don’t have a .CA domain name? What are you waiting for—register yours today.
CIRA is a member-based organization that values the input of its members and their contributions to enabling a trusted internet. Having a .CA and being a CIRA member supports the great work we do for Canada’s internet.