Support from Canadian Centre for Cyber Security helps protect thousands of Canadian families from cyber-threats
OTTAWA – December 10, 2020 – After only seven months in market, the Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) is proud to announce that more than 100,000 Canadians have chosen CIRA Canadian Shield to protect themselves and their families from malware, phishing and other cyber-attacks.
As millions of Canadians have been forced to work, learn, teach and socialize online, CIRA Canadian Shield has surpassed its first-year goal of 100,000 users in a little over half a year. In that time, the service has blocked more than 20 million malicious domains for its users and serves more than 500 million queries each day.
As Canadians prepare to welcome thousands of new internet-connected toys and smart home devices into their homes this holiday season, the best thing they can do to keep them safe and secure is to implement CIRA Canadian Shield.
- Since launch, CIRA Canadian Shield has experienced 100% uptime and blocked approximately one malicious domain per user every day, protecting them from cyber-attacks.
- The Canadian Centre for Cyber Security provides CIRA Canadian Shield with its Canadian threat feed which has blocked more than 50,000 malicious domains since launch.
- CIRA Canadian Shield has three levels of service: Private (only DNS privacy), Protected (additional malware and cyber-threat protection) and Family (additional adult content protection). To date, 82% of users have chosen the Protected service, 10% Family and 8% Private.
- CIRA Canadian Shield is a free DNS privacy and cybersecurity service that operates on IPv4, IPv6 and the newest DNS encryption standards—DNS over HTTP (DoH) and DNS over TLS (DoT).
- CIRA Canadian Shield is built on a combination of public and private threat feeds including those from our partners: Akamai, the Canadian Centre for Child Protection and the Canadian Centre for Cyber Security
- To confirm CIRA’s commitment to privacy for its users, Deloitte LLP was recently contracted to conduct a full privacy audit of CIRA Canadian Shield. The audit found that “CIRA Canadian Shield service is suitably designed to support the achievement of CIRA’s privacy commitments.” Read the auditor’s report summary.