Customization and flexibility key elements to Ireland’s choice of registry platform
Ottawa – November 19, 2020 – Today, the Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) is proud to announce that .IE, the official country-code top-level domain of the Republic of Ireland, is now powered by the industry-leading CIRA Registry Platform.
The transition to the CIRA Registry Platform was completed earlier this week after months of remote collaboration, made necessary by the global pandemic, between the CIRA and .IE teams to migrate more than 300,000 .IE domain names.
A key element of the project involved customizing the deployment to meet the specific business and technical needs of .IE including registrant contact validation, configurable GDPR anonymization, credit card payments and advanced reporting.
- With 308,000+ domains under management, .IE is one of the fastest growing domain registries in the EU, having registered more than 58,000 new .IE domains in the last year alone.
- The CIRA Registry Platform leverages CIRA’s more than 20 years of experience managing the .CA domain to build an advanced registry platform to support a modern TLD business.
- In addition to powering the .IE domain registry, the CIRA Registry Platform also powers .CA, .SX, .MLS and .KIWI registries, and is flexible and modular to accommodate the needs of any modern TLD.
- The CIRA Registry Platform’s tags feature—an industry first—enables operators to apply advanced business rules to individual domains or domain groupings to adjust pricing and promotions in real-time.
- Many of the platform’s advanced features can be adjusted on-demand, without technical interventions, allowing marketing and finance teams to directly manage and report on a domain’s promotional activity.
“If migrating .CA onto the CIRA Registry Platform was our big debut, adding .IE to our growing list of international partners is ringing endorsement of both our technology and our service. Our team was able to adapt the platform to meet the specific requirements of .IE, and in doing so, demonstrated how we can assist other ccTLD and gTLD partners around the world to help them grow and expand their business.”
Dave Chiswell, vice president, product development, Canadian Internet Registration Authority
“.IE is delighted to have completed the transition to a new Registry Platform with the smooth migration of our .ie database. The TITAN registry management system has been designed by the Canadian Internet Registry Authority, which customised its Fury Registry Platform to operate and implement the .ie managed registry policies effective in Ireland and to comply with EU data protection regulations (GDPR).”
David Curtin, CEO at .IE
“Working with the .IE team was a seamless experience—despite the challenges of managing such a complex project during a pandemic. The CIRA Registry Platform is all about customization and the CIRA team worked hard to meet the unique needs of the Irish market.”
Don Slaunwhite, product manager, Registry Services, Canadian Internet Registration Authority
- Learn more about the CIRA Registry Platform
- Read about the .CA migration to the CIRA Registry Platform
- Learn more about CIRA Registry Services
About the Canadian Internet Registration Authority
The Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) manages the .CA top-level domain on behalf of all Canadians. CIRA also develops technologies and services—such as CIRA DNS Firewall and CIRA Canadian Shield—that help support its goal of building a better online Canada. The CIRA team operates one of the fastest-growing country code top-level domains (ccTLD), a high-performance global DNS network, and one of the world’s most advanced back-end registry solutions.
As the national registry for .ie domain names, .IE provides a trusted pathway to the Internet for Irish people, communities and business. With its original research and insights, .IE informs and enables policymakers and its partners to advance Ireland’s internet ecosystem, thereby helping everyone in Ireland to thrive online. With its annual .IE Digital Town programme, .IE celebrates a town’s online progress and promotes its digital achievements.